Sometimes accidents happen – We’re here to help!
Quad City Orthodontics is dedicated to patient care, especially in the case of an emergency.
Orthodontic emergencies may be rare, but we are ready and willing to help you whenever you are having trouble with your braces.
Many problems can be solved simply at home, though we always have appointments if you need help. You can do a few things at home to ensure that you are comfortable and the braces continue to do their job.
Here are some tips that may be helpful:
- General soreness comes with new braces, so you may notice that your teeth are a little sore for a few days. It might help to eat soft foods during this time.
- Some people like to use Oragel on their tender gums to help with the discomfort for the first few days. This product is available at the pharmacy. You may also use over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin and Advil).
- If you have a loose bracket, it is important that you leave it in place the best that you can. You can put wax on it so that it doesn’t irritate your gums until you are able to be seen.
- If you have a loose wire, you might be able to use tweezers or needle-nosed pliers to try to put the wire back into place. If you can’t get it to stay and it is really causing you problems, you can clip it off with a fingernail clipper. Place wax over the end to protect your mouth.
- If you have a wire poking you, you can push it down with a pencil eraser or use wax until you can be seen.
If there is a problem that is causing discomfort and needs to be addressed immediately, please contact Dr. Richards at 309-781-9901 or Dr. Piepenbrink at 309-236-8563.
Otherwise, please call the office to determine if a repair appointment needs to be scheduled: you can contact us at (563) 332-5671 (Bettendorf) or (309) 786-7782 (Rock Island).